Monday, April 24, 2006

Spring is here at last!

When hubby and son went away together on Sunday morning for their motorcycle tour, I was wondering what I should do. I had a lot of laundry which needed ironing, so I set off to do that, listening to Björk’s CD “Debut”.

I had finished a lot after one hour, but I thought, I must be stone crazy: it’s wonderful outside, blue skies, nice temperatures, actually I’ve got some time on my hand but I’m staying inside, just sort of... functioning.
So, I put on my hiking shoes and went to the woods.

And then, at last, I discovered, that the lushly light green puffy thingies on some trees are actually acorn blossoms. (Can you see the ladybeetle in the photo?)




The wind was wonderfully cool, just like a sea breeze.

I simply had to touch an oak tree and feel its bark.
I saw a crow stalking over a meadow, rummaging about to find some food.

Just at the edge of the forest, I heard a nightingale in broad daylight. I went on my tiptoes because I wanted to have a look at her. When I was so sure I would be able to see her (because I knew where she sat, singing), a group of people came strolling along. When they had passed, the bird was gone.

A little bit further down the way, someone had parked a bicycle. An old man was searching through the nettles on the wayside. I asked him what he was searching for, and he showed me the posy he was carrying: woodruff. He said he wanted to make a punch (called “Maibowle”), the taste would be so different from the ready-bottled stuff. His kids and grandchildren would be coming to visit him...

(I simply LOVE it when the beeches spread their pleated leaves...)

I heard a cuckoo, very near. Tap your purse! (They say this brings some money into it.
Normally, I’m not superstitious, but you never know... ;-) )

I saw woodruff, violets, wild strawberries in bloom and jung beeches standing together.




I saw an edible snail, whose shell was quite bleached.



A few steps along the path, a Marsh Tit followed my steps.


When I left the woods, I saw a hare running through the fields. It became quicker (of course!), when some people strolled along with a bulldog.

It was quite warm by then.

Walking up a hill, I thought I heard another nightingale, although I was not sure. I tried to have a peek at the bird that was singing so loud and wonderful, and it took quite some time until I finally managed. That was not a nightingale. A rather insignificantly coloured bird, light brown-grey, with a small pointed beak. A darker streak along the wing’s edge and, I think, along the eye. The tail was a shade of reddish. It sang very melodious, but that specific nightingale’s sound was lacking. But between the melodies, it was somehow creaking gently to itself. And I had the impression that it imitated other birds, too. Gotta find out what bird it was...

(It seems that I was mistaken: it must have been a nightingale...
Hear the sound
here.)

I saw a carriage from afar.

Shortly after that, I sensed an intensive smell. Intensive, but not really that pleasant. There was a meadow with cherry trees nearby, which were covered with blossoms over and over...



Before I came back to the residential area, I saw big tufts of dandelions in full bloom.



Can you imagine how relaxed and delighted I came back from that hike?
Sure you can :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger woof nanny said...

Wow, that's intense. A stereo of the senses. I love it.

26/4/06 08:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home