Friday, December 15, 2006

And so this is Christmas...


This year, I don't feel very Christmas-y at all. I don’t know what’s the reason for this. Maybe the overall weird state of my mind, maybe just the weather, which has been too warm for weeks now (The birds began to sing again. Spring flowers preparing to blossom.).
I made an Advent wrath, and we will light the third candle on Sunday. I made a wrath for the door, with dried orange slices, cinnamon and star-anise for the smell and fake little apples and berries for the look. Somehow, to no avail concerning my pre-Christmas feeling. The spices don't smell as they did last time I used some as a decoration.

I’m short before giving up on the DIY Christmas cards I intended to send. Christmas pop songs on the radio just harass me.

(Instead, I just bought a CD containing a lot of James Bond theme songs, which really feel reviving. Haven’t seen the blonde Bond yet, but I hope to go to see the movie next week. Not very contemplative, and not close to my kind of reality, but maybe that’s why I’m really excited about that flick.
End of interlude.)

So, I’m still waiting for the Christmas feeling. It will probably come somewhen in the new year, when the snow will cover the scenery, eventually. I know that there are many places in the world, where there won’t ever be snow for Christmas, and Suse from Pea Soup said, rightfully, that JC was born and lived in an arid climate, so dreaming of a white Christmas is quite far-fetched, somehow.
But as the people seem to be getting weirder day by day, one by one recognizing that there are only a few days left til Christmas, and – oh my God! We don’t have presents for so-and-so and have to buy and cook and bake – everything simply HAS TO BE FINISHED WITHIN THIS YEAR at work (because there will be no such thing as a new year to continue, as it seems), the time before Christmas is not the most joyful or peaceful time of the year but the most stressful and nerve-wracking. It is filled with unexpressed anticipation and wishes, and all of this collides on the holidays. Well, the best way to generate arguments within the family. Actually, you can’t do very much about it. Everyone has their own opinion about how ceremonies or, at least, the few days off, should take place. They want harmony, but not boredom. They want good food, but not gluttony. They won’t get neither of it... or everything all at once (so be careful what you wish for).
The creator of the series Babylon 5 once wrote an essay about the way pre-Christmas hustle turned the intention upside down: “Be jolly, rejoice, goddamned! It’s do or die now!” (Oops, sorry. But you can see what I mean?)

Yeah, I might seem cynical. I’m not. I am a harmony-addicted woman, mother and spouse and I’m trying to juggle with all this... I can never win this battle...

*sigh*

* giving a big wave to all like-minded people *


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home