Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yellow

"'Yellow,' he thought and stomped off back to his bedroom to get dressed.
(...)
'Yellow,' he thought. The word yellow wandered through his mind in search of something to connect with."

Douglas Adams - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy




Did I ever mention that "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is one of my favourite books? How I whish I had a "Hitch Hiker's Guide to Life, Universe and Everything" ;-)
However, each and every one has got to write his or her own guide... But there's one thing all of them should have in common: It should have the words "Don't panic" inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover...

Anyhow, where was I?
Yellow.

For approximately one and a half years, bulldozers, excavators and other utility vehicles have been driving rallyes behind our house.
Once upon a time, when we moved in here, there was an anti-noise barrier consisting of an earth wall that slowly became overgrown with shrubs and trees and other plants. Behind that, there were football grounds, and behind those, the rivulet.
Then, the city council decided that there be housing estate. So, in came the excavators. They took away the earth wall, then dug over the football fields, and for seemingly ages now, they're building the streets and footpaths. I mean, I understand that it takes them so long, because they're always driving around in their excavators, back and forth, from the left to the right and back.
Today, a truck load of paving stones was delivered at 0540 a.m.. That's even five minutes before we usually get up, and I'm not such an early bird, so this annoyed my a. lot. Usually, work starts at 0600 a.m., even on a Saturday.

Now that it hasn't been raining for more than one week, and temperatures have reached 37 °C (approx. 99 ° F) in the meantime, the utility vehicles raise a lot of dust so that it might not have been a good idea to put out white laundry to dry in the sun...

But what I really loathe is the noise.
As I said, it begins at 0600 a.m., and sometimes doesn't stop before 0800 p.m.. Vehicles driving. Bulldozers bulldozing (oh how I wish they were dozing!), angle grinders and saws grinding their way through various materials, trucks unloading, hammering, etc. etc..
The point is, when I go to work, it's not quiet at all, either. The company next door does laser and die-cut, and you can not only hear the blanking, but feel it on many days.
Leave alone the usual day-to-day sounds like washing-machines or (on these hot days) fans or the extractor hood in the kitchen.

I got so sensitive to noise, that some days I feel like I'm going crazy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home