Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Childhood memories: Music

Looking back in time - Mum and me on the Spanish island of Formentera
It's funny how we connect music, sounds, and also tastes or odours with impressions, feelings, memories...

Sometimes, when I hear very old-fashioned music, I feel pitchforked back to a time way back when. Must have been the time before school started, although I was quite fond of school. At least until 9th grade. Then other things started to be more important to me. I made it through high school diploma anyhow.

But I digress.

Do you remember the following songs? They represent the sound of my early childhood:
  • Middle of the road: "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep", "Soley, Soley", "Sacramento"

  • The Fifth Dimension: "Up, Up and Away"

  • The Archies: "Sugar Sugar"

  • The Marmelade: "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da"

  • Tom Jones: "It's Not Unusual", "Delilah" (OMG...)

  • Jeff Christie: "Yellow River"
  • B. J. Thomas: "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"
  • Dionne Warwick: "I'll Never Fall in Love Again", "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?"

  • Tony Christie: "Is This the Way to Amarillo?"
    (remember, they had no GPS in those days...)
To be continued...

These songs (although they wouldn't appear on my favourite playlist) take me back to a time when the sun was always shining, as it seems...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger woof nanny said...

Ha! I wonder how many times I've sung "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head"? Countless times.
Or "King of the Road", "Dock of the Bay" or the themes from Godspell or Cabaret...

I was just at a concert with 80's music, and I was amazed that I knew every lyric.

I wonder why I can't ever recollect movies, but songs stick with me forever?

23/7/07 07:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home